Let’s just set the facts straight- potatoes are the superior starch. They’re great-tasting baked, loaded, fried, hashed, boiled, grilled, mashed, smashed, or how we’ll make them in this recipe- roasted or air fried. The versatility of potatoes are just amazing, you see the content! Home fries are my favorite side dish and form of potato when enjoying breakfast or brunch, however, you can eat these anytime of the day.
In this recipe, I used my air fryer (Ninja Foodi on the air crisp) to prepare the breakfast potatoes and seasoned them with my favorite essential seasonings: salt, pepper, garlic, onion, and paprika. If you don’t have an air fryer, you can still eat these, no worries! Prepare your potatoes by tossing them in seasonings and oil and layer them flat on a baking sheet or dish and cook in the oven while flipping them halfway to ensure even cooking. This recipe has now become a staple for brunch in my household- we’re suckers for potatoes with a crispy skin and creamy middle. I am sure that you will love them as well!
- It is important to use salt because it will help draw out any extra moisture in the potatoes allowing them to have a nice, crispy outer skin.
- Drizzle the potatoes evenly with your favorite oil. I keep extra virgin olive oil on hand so it’s usually my go-to. You could also use avocado oil, rendered bacon fat, vegetable or canola oil.
- Potatoes are your choice! This recipe calls for red skin potatoes- my absolute favorite! Feel free to use russet, Idaho, or Yukon gold potatoes.
- Want to get fancy? Toss in some chopped peppers, onions, and bacon for loaded potatoes.
- These can also be topped with a number of brunch favorites. Go southwestern with cheese, salsa, and sour cream. Or avocado. Or bacon and cheese with chopped green onions.
- 6 to 10 small Redskin Potatoes, usually I can fit a half bag in my air fryer basket.
- 1 to 2 tbsp Oil
- 1 tbsp Sea or Kosher Salt
- 1 tbsp Paprika, smoked if you have it.
- 1 tbsp Granulated Garlic
- 1/2 to 1 tbsp Black Pepper
- 1/2 tbsp Dried Thyme
What to Do
- Wash and cut potatoes into quarters. Try to keep them all around the same size for even cooking.
- Toss potatoes in your oil of choice followed by all of the remaining ingredients.
- If using an oven: preheat oven at 400 F, add potatoes onto a baking dish or tray, and bake for 30 minutes. Be sure to flip to ensure that all sides are cooked evenly.
- If using an air fryer: Add potatoes into the fry basket of the air fryer and cook on 400 F for 25 minutes. Stop halfway in between to cook evenly. If the potatoes are not soft enough, air fry for an additional 10 minutes.
- Serve warm with your favorite brunch items and don’t forget to tag me in your pictures at @elle.thefoodie!